Skip to main content

Stepping into motherhood

Motherhood - a new phase in a woman's life, one that transforms us into a whole new person. I have only stepped into this journey a while ago and yet here I am ready to share the experience of a few weeks.
         The honest truth is, even though pregnancy seemed difficult, it would look like a piece of cake compared to spending the first few weeks with your new born. You hear wonderful stories about parenthood and the joys of raising your child, but no one talks about the challenges, self doubt and sometimes,the frustrations.
          I tried to read up a little on select topics which I thought might be important initially. There's is tons of information available online but all the articles come with a disclaimer: "However, each baby is different and reacts differently. Try and understand what your child needs" I mean, come on! I knew that bit already! What I needed help with was how to understand my baby differently. 
I really wish that God hand delivered the instruction manuals after we'd delivered the baby. Since that's not the case and babies are not some kitchen appliance that we bought at home depot, we'll have to figure things out for ourselves.
          And so I decided, I'm going to treat my bundle of joy just as I treat any other person-with respect and patience. It's just that she knows a different language than I do and until either of us figure the other person's language, we'll have to have an in between mode of communication. 
Now she refuses to be the bigger person and learn how to talk so I've resorted to gurgles and cooing. We are still trying to find the middle ground.
            I was totally unaware that infants start having their unique personality but definitely didn't not expect it in a new born. My cute, sweet child is adorable when she's asleep but then she turns into the Hulk, when I'm late by even five minutes in feeding her. Where does she have all that energy stored up I wonder. But my sleep deprived brain is too useless right now to process such complicated questions.
             As I mentioned earlier, I've only just stepped into this phase and there are miles to go before I sleep. The journey continues. . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moments that melt your heart

My heart just skipped a beat . . .              There are not too many moments that make you feel that way, but those that do, you remember them for the rest of your life.                So what moment did I just experience you ask? My new born daughter smiled at me! Not the involuntary half grin kind of an expression but a full-out, looking at my face toothless smile ! ! !             As many new parents can attest, the first few weeks and months after bringing your little one home are not so easy and we are no exceptions. We have our share of good days, not so good days and days where we are just out of our depth!   Being first time parents, everything was scary and every cry of hers was, to us, a cause for concern.   It wasn't smooth sailing right of the bat, we had a little bit of starting trouble and that kind of set the tone in the initial weeks. As days progressed though, we began to understand her needs little by little and she also started settling into her home.