Skip to main content

Moments that melt your heart

My heart just skipped a beat . . .

             There are not too many moments that make you feel that way, but those that do, you remember them for the rest of your life. 

            
 So what moment did I just experience you ask? My new born daughter smiled at me! Not the involuntary half grin kind of an expression but a full-out, looking at my face toothless smile ! ! !

            As many new parents can attest, the first few weeks and months after bringing your little one home are not so easy and we are no exceptions. We have our share of good days, not so good days and days where we are just out of our depth!  

Being first time parents, everything was scary and every cry of hers was, to us, a cause for concern.  It wasn't smooth sailing right of the bat, we had a little bit of starting trouble and that kind of set the tone in the initial weeks. As days progressed though, we began to understand her needs little by little and she also started settling into her home.

             Make no mistake, it is still exhausting with all the diaper changes, fussiness, crying and to top it all off, we are running on sleepless mode. Its very easy to get frustrated and feel suffocated by the whole situation. You are on a self imposed banishment in your own home - neither can you go out and nor can you invite friends over for fear of infections. As though, this is not punishment enough, there are those well meaning relatives who keep doling out advice and judging you on your parental skills already! Trust me, they think they are helping, but you only end up doubting yourself. What happens in turn is that you lash out at your partner, and he, at you. Well that's just part of the game!


            But then, you see your little one growing, right in front of your eyes - putting on weight, cheeks filling out, recognizing your voice, et cetera, and everything changes. All you have to do is to look into those beautiful eyes and you can feel the whole world melt away. Nothing matters - not the sleepless nights, or crankiness. You just want to do everything in your power to keep her safe.Every sacrifice you make today, is to help her in future - to make her healthy. When you come to think of it, these few tiresome months are nothing when compared to the many, many healthy months she'll have in her life.

          As the weeks pass, you see her reaching new milestones and one such achievement is when she smiles at you. Believe me when I tell you this, no smile would be more beautiful than that of you new born child. Treasure them, for they will get you going on the tough days. Its true what people say, they grow up fast. I don't want to sound like a cliche, but its true - i see my daughter growing up so fast. It feels like only yesterday that we brought her home from the hospital, and today she's already a month old.


That very first smile

As for me, I'm off to enjoy lots more of those heart stopping moments with my daughter ! ! 1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stepping into motherhood

Motherhood - a new phase in a woman's life, one that transforms us into a whole new person. I have only stepped into this journey a while ago and yet here I am ready to share the experience of a few weeks.          The honest truth is, even though pregnancy seemed difficult, it would look like a piece of cake compared to spending the first few weeks with your new born. You hear wonderful stories about parenthood and the joys of raising your child, but no one talks about the challenges, self doubt and sometimes,the frustrations.           I tried to read up a little on select topics which I thought might be important initially. There's is tons of information available online but all the articles come with a disclaimer: "However, each baby is different and reacts differently. Try and understand what your child needs" I mean, come on! I knew that bit already! What I needed help with was how to understand my baby differently.  I really wish that God hand delivered